Thursday, December 13, 2012

Family

So let me start by telling you why I wanted to post this
While in the midst of ironing my clothes...
Mum: I'll come out (from my room) to talk to you later, if I'm not asleep.
Me: Huh, might as well just go and sleep.
Mum: But I haven't talk to you for so long!
Yes, I did spoil the moment by saying something like, "didn't you just talk to me?" I'm not exactly the best person with mushy things face-to-face. And of course she meant "talk" as in "share", sharing about our daily lives. But it really made me miss and treasure time spent with my family. Especially my mum because she's going away to China for a week. How am I gonna survive? I (used to) not be able to last 3 days(!) without her.

Here's my two cents on family relationships. (Blah. Everyone's gonna be like "that's so cliche, ugh", "yea, yea, yada yada". Well, okay.) I tend to feel that I have the ideal (for the lack of a better description) family. I have my mum and my dad, who are still in love with each other. I have my brother, who is a party animal but still spoils me sometimes. We're very knitted. Yeah, we have our fair share of misunderstandings, screams, shouts and quarrels but the anger never lasts.

As glamorous as ditching a family dinner for a night out with the gurlfriends may seem, I'd rather bask in the comfort of eating good food and discussing random facts with the family all night long. It's really interesting and I get to learn loads.

As said, communication plays a big part in the relationship of families *cues "cliche!"*. My family never goes a month without a family dinner together, whether at home or at Taman Jurong Hawker Centre (hnnng curry fish head and baby kai lan). This is where the sharing happens. In my family, we share our lives over food.

Most of the nights that I'm free, I always text my mum to meet somewhere around Clementi or Jcube to have dinner and head home together. And at this point of time, she would have just got off from work so she'll complain to me about how busy she is, how people in her office call her 'master' because she's really experienced (show off!) etc. and I would complain to her how ridiculously bored at home I am. Haha. And as much as I hate listening to my brother's party habits ("That day we went Helipad blah blah blah and then the DJ blah blah blah..), I still allow him to share it with me. My dad has the MOST ridiculous ideas ever but they're quite funny. I listen because I care.

Communication is really important *cues "cliche!" again*. I once advised one of my friends, who couldn't really get along with her parents, to spend more time with them and get to know and understand them as well as their intentions, better. I didn't think it'd work but thought it was worth a shot. Lo and behold, a month or two later she told me their relationship has improved. You can't love someone that you don't care about. You can't care about someone whom you don't want to know their happenings. 

Kudos to you who have reached till this part. You're really awesome. You may know collect a candy cane from me. Not even kidding dude, just that you have to come to me to get it. I don't do mails yaw. And I guess my 2-cents have just increased to 5. Have an awesome week!

x

p.s (13/12/12 3:09AM): Although we individuals need to put in effort, I do realise that the whole family has a part to play too. Good luck if you're going to do something about your situation. I believe all is possible! :)